Friday, 15 May 2009

3/5/09

Its my 3rd day in Arusha and boy am I slightly confused with the whole thing..there are street children all over the place then you have the 5 star Arusha Hotel on the other hand. Kate did warn me this would be the case in the town. As there are developed businesses right down to people selling nuts on the streets trying to make their daily income. Although I have learnt something and that is to be extremely safe if I’m on my own with my bag and belongings. As foreigners are the target for bag snatching and muggings. nice!!! This has definitely made me a little tad paranoid but I figure if they can see this then I will get my ass kicked!! Arusha is a base town for NGO’s projects and a hot spot for tourists, which explains the division between development and poverty.

I’ve spent time walking around the town, meeting Caroline (another volunteer from the group) and some other volunteers from other NGO’s. After 3 days I am feeling a little homesick and miss my family and friends already!! I think the whole issue about safety and being alert 24/7 has really thrown me as it’s something that isn’t a issue back at home. The locals also pay attention to non Tanzanians. I thought the fact that 30% of their population is made up of Indians..I may be ok to fit in. Definitely wishful thinking Miss Parv!! Since arriving here I have been called ‘Muzungu’ which stand for white person…considering I am not even white they just categorise everyone who isn’t the same colour as a white person!! So apart from have this shouted at me in the streets and folk trying to befriend me to buy something it’s been INTERESTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment