Monday, 25 May 2009

Midweek..... a good executive decision

Flora's is trying to expand the Chicken count to produce more eggs to help fund her childrens education. The shed is going to come out and built to 2 storeys with the grant.
the local people find it a breeze everyday!

young parv loving the hills..................shinsplints not so good!


the hills of Ngaromtoni



For my 2nd project in Ngaramtoni -One of the grant recipients was presented with the monies to finance her business idea today. Flora is a widow with five children and is also a HIV patient; she was awarded the grant along with 4 other individuals from a selection of 30 people. She lives high up in the hills of Ngaromtoni so it took us 1.5 to walk to her house and present her with the money. We discussed when and how much the building work would cost for expansion of her chicken farm. She depends on this source of income to feed her family and attempt to get them some sort of an education. Currently only 1 child out of 5 attends a school, that itself is a very basic school that also has some nuns running it. Some dates were finalised for the building to commence and completion date, things move very slowly over here something which would take 2 days back home, can take up to 2 weeks in this village. We have arranged to meet in a week’s time to see how everything is moving.
I have figured I can visit all the 5 recipients in a day starting from 8am – 6pm, the only factor that can slow things down is the walking distance between the recipients and the weather. This village is very close to Mount Meru and I decided around 3pm to call it a day as we had some very unwelcoming clouds up above. I think I made a good decision as on our way down the hills we heard how a lorry had lost control and knocked three girls off the hill whilst driving up. The lorries breaks were non existence and the guy was using gears only!! Later we came to find out the 3 girls were the very ones that were walking up the hills with me and Dan!! They were local girls who were walking to their village where I and Dan had the luxury in turning around. I had a very sickly feeling in my gut that night as Dan knew the girls from his village and was rather upset about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment