I had managed to get hold of the current funders for Sister felicity and arranged to meet them at 8.30 one morning. They are an American company who provides 300,000 Tsh for the FAWE centre. Due to other projects they cannot assist further with the current problems that face the centre. However after meeting Nick, the NGO founder, he came me some alternatives routes to consider if funds could not be raised. He also suggested looking at the local community to develop an initiative that will generate income. This was something I had already considered and planned as a back-up.
I also started my formal interviews of the Business group from Kwa Idd towards the back end of the week, the group leader had chosen a potential 20 to shortlist and our organisation to visit and assess. So after the first few visits I felt like this was going to be a challenge in only selecting half of them. As all of them had the motivation and drive to try and improve their current living conditions and better their futures. I feel like Kate has given me quite a lot of responsibility on this project, which is quite encouraging as I really want to do a good job in ensuring I select the right candidates. Although I have found myself asking how do I distinguish between the ‘right candidates’ and the ‘real poverty stricken’ ones…. ?? I soon came to the conclusion in order for this scheme to work successfully and enable further rounds of loans to be distributed it was striking a balance between ‘good income generation ideas’ and ‘those that also need the money’ to better their lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment