Monday, 25 May 2009

Week commencing 11 May

Sister Felicity's office for the FAWE centre
The 3rd project FAWE supports - the local school for the HIV affected widows.

Start of the week…
I had arranged to meet Sister Felicity today, having visited her 1 room office where everything is carried out we were set to the visit the school today. Which was the 3rd area of work she co-ordinated. When I visited I took some bananas for the little ones and wanted to see the state of the school. It turned out as I’d imagined after our discussions in the last week. We had agreed from all the 3 work areas of the FAWE project the school was in serious need of funds to provide basic desks/chairs for the children and to buy a blackboard which belongs to the school. It was difficult to prioritise the needs of this school considering the roof was incomplete too, however Sister insisted the desks/chairs were in desperate need. We have sat down and thought of a few avenues, firstly to approach the local businesses within Arusha for support. I have carried out some research to all the big businesses which seem to be mobile networks and the travel/tourism companies. We have drawn up costs for all 3 areas of the FAWE in order of priority. This will make it transparent to potential donors as to why funds are required and how they will be allocated. So the start of the week was spent trying to get hold of costing for materials, equipment, labour charges etc. I think from the 3 of my projects this will be the most challenging in terms of progress, considering so many organisations are fighting for aid and funds. The grants project has the funds allocated to the recipients already, and I need to work with the individuals in getting their little businesses set up and generating some form of income. For the business loans, the funds have been raised from international donors and I need to start by visiting all the individuals in the group from this village to get an idea of their income generating ideas before I make formal visits for assessments. So this project is going to require loads of research into who I can approach for funding. It really sucks as the families are mostly widowed women, who cannot even afford to feed these children. I have had an idea to consider ‘World Vision’ to see if they can sponsor a child for even a morning meal of porridge at school at a cost of 20p per day. World Vision appear to have similar schemes… so this maybe my first point of call. For the school equipment if funding fails we are going to discuss some form of income generating ideas within the village. So I will be carrying out some surveys within the local areas to get the ball rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment