Kenya to Tanzania
It was a 6am start this am, and 6 hours later we have crossed the border from Kenya to Tanzania. The journey tends to take around 3.5 hours so this has definitely turned into the never ending journey! I’m very much looking forward to meeting Kate, (country manager for the volunteer organisation) as I have a feeling she will be able to wave my fear about all of this. Since arriving in Kenya, I’ve had somewhat of an apprehensive sensation in my stomach. Something along the lines of this being a real test of character and inner strength for me.
Currently we’re passing through the rural regions of Tanzania….where mud huts appear from time to time in isolated areas where there is no sign of life. Especially as the ground is so dry it is grey in colour with trees that have shrivelled up, it looks like a sheet of grey dust has been spread across the land. After about 30 minutes, it amazes me how fields of crops come into sight with brick houses. So it looks a little more developed and actual people in sight in comparison to the mud huts before which looked deserted. I’m thinking we must be approaching the city…or is that me just getting excited? I have to say this journey on the bus has been a rollercoaster, it’s a good job I have an empty stomach as this could have gotten messy. The extremely uneven and rocky terrain is making it a struggle for the driver, whilst 4x4’s speed past us I’m thinking ‘plssssssss do not break down here!’ as we passed some buses that did! Wow this dude really likes to be fast and furious as you can’t even see through the windscreen due to the dust in the air…BUT I’m sure this is just normal to him. We continue on…….
Arriving into Arusha to meet Kate
Kate seemed like a very down to earth and relaxed person. We walked out to the main road where she negotiated a taxi ride to the hotel, her fluent Swahili made me envious! She asked me if I wanted to sleep and rest before the group volunteer meeting at 7pm. I hadn’t slept for more than 3 hrs since leaving Heathrow but I was keen to get out and familiarise myself with the surroundings. Hmm a good opportunity to throw some questions at her the first one being ‘am I really reckless for coming to volunteer her on my own!’. I’m taken back with the roads and backstreets where the hotel is located…endless amounts of people sitting on the floor with either fruit/veg for sale. All lined up selling the same type of stuff makes me wonder how they manage to sell when the person next to them is selling exactly the same?!? It is very lively and busy on the streets with almost anything and everything for sale on the muddy side streets. From 2nd hand clothes, fruit & veg, plastic slippers…loads of them in every colour you could imagine, loads of fried food from bananas to dough balls covered in sugar (J – You would love these !!) so the range of stuff is totally random and varied shall is say. The locals all pay attention to myself and Kate and try and ask us questions or sell us something as we pass through. I was expecting a somewhat traditional market place for food instead she takes us to the west wing (as they have named it!). I wasn’t going to complain at this stage as I was starving but it did confuse me as to how in the middle of all of this you find an area or complex which has been designed for the modern Tanzanians/Westerners. Kate said it was a good place to go and think and reflect and get away from the craziness every now and again…so a mixed salad it was!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment