Friday, 15 May 2009

4/5/09

Today was the official induction for me and Evelyn; she arrived yesterday, to go through our individual work projects, a quick Swahili lesson, an introduction to the culture and way of life in Tanzania, and some other useful information. Kate had confirmed that we will be leaving for our home stays later in the evening. I had discussed with Kate how far out I was going to be especially as I’d be on my own in the in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately there was no other volunteers based in Ngaromtoni, this is a rural area which is around 40 mins out of town and I wasn’t feeling it anymore. I think after being here for 4 days I have realised my safety needs to come first therefore maybe staying just outside the town would be the right move. It wasn’t even that, but I’d be totally isolated in the evenings as it is not safe to go out when the sun goes down… so something inside just wasn’t like this plan. It was at the end of the day whereby I and Kate agreed maybe staying further away was not the right thing for me; it was here whereby I was to go back to the hotel. I was a little gutted as Evelyn had left for her home stay which was also just outside the town where I would have liked to have left for too. Kate has assured me that after a few enquires I too will have a home stay organised closer to town. I’m not sure if I made the right move, but if I had doubt’s I think I did the right thing. Although it was exciting to learn about the 3 projects I would be working on, something to be happy about!! I did feel totally homesick today but I think it’s the culture shock of the way of life in Tanzania and maybe there’s an element of fear that isn’t subsiding. I haven’t experience this kind of fear before so it has thrown me and I’m not entirely sure how to handle it or manage it…so not moving to the stick was a result of this fear. I know in the past ‘fear’ is something which has excited me or I’ve just shrugged it off but this time I need to act on it with careful judgement. Parv can be sensible when required!

No comments:

Post a Comment